Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Last Nights Storm

Im glad I found that time lapse option on my camera because I knew that last mid to late summer we had a lot of great lightning storms and I wanted to record one coming in. I was watching the news and there was a tornado watch in effect in some of the counties to the west of us. I set up the camera and we got a storm that was a lot bigger than we were bargaining for. Take a look at the video.




At the beginning we could see a lot of lightning to the north west of us, as we kept watching we turned on the news again because it was starting to look scary. the tornado advisory was heading straight for us then the cable lost signal and we heard the tornado warning alarms going off outside! we grabbed our 72 hour kits from the front closet and were ready to book it down the stairs. Our power was still on so we decided to stay where we were until either the power went off or our windows blew out. luckily none of those things happened so we just stayed in our apartment. If you look closely at the video right before the brunt of the storm hits you can see the red crane violently swing around in the direction of the wind then later it shifts in another direction. The news said that the storm moved across the city at 40 MPH with gusts of wind that were in multiple directions which they thought might turn into a tornado. I thought the gusts were going to blow our windows out! It was a little scary but we are alive.

2 comments:

betsy said...

that is so awesome! i want a camera that does that time lapse thing...and i want to live in a place that has rain storms like that! (i think i'm starting to convince brett it would be a nice place to live. hee hee, who am i kidding.)

caos27 said...

thats awesome and scary. i totally hate lightning.