Wednesday, August 20, 2008

School starts tomorrow

So, School is already starting tomorrow, like the title says, and I figure I better post a few of the projects i did last semester because we set up the blog after I got out of school.


This was my first day of school last year

This project was a "bale" where i was studying intersecting lines and change of direction. I used 8.5 X 11 inch sheets of recycled paper from the computer lab. The next project was a "box" and had to be made out of wood and had to relate to the "bale" so this is what i came up with


Each of the pieces of wood were shaped so that when put together they would relate to the dimension of a piece of paper. for instance the inside circumference is 8.5" and the outside circumference is 11" the height of each individual piece is 11" and the height of where both pieces are touching is 8.5" and so on.

One of my visual training classes we studied spheres all semester long. I used my time as a materials study as well so i made spheres out of plaster, yarn, concrete and different mixtures of light weight concrete. I used balloons as guides for a little bit but then I used a bowling ball as an object that I made casts from. anyway here are a few of the many spheres i made.





In one of my studio classes we studied wood structures and some of the common and not so common practices of building wood buildings. one of the structures I studied was the forestry station modular structures located in Switzerland. this is what part of the building looks like.

Our class later in the semester went to Switzerland and Jackie and I went during spring break before the class arrived. We drove up to the forestry station to see if I built it right and I think I did a good job.

Later in the semester we had a final show in Crown Hall and here is one of my projects along with a few of the other structures that were studied by my classmates.


Also in that semester we made some dynamic structural models of some existing buildings that used natural shapes that help the structural stability of the building. the model Tom (a classmate) and I made was a representation on the dules airport in D.C. at least i think its in D.C. either way here is a picture.

Our model is made of wood, plastic and wire to show the different forces and movement that the building has. the actual dules airport is made of concrete that is post tensioned into this parabolic shape which is able to span a much greater distance than just a flat roof.
The last project of the semester was a full scale structural design. My team decided to design a bridge that used some of the structural ideas that came from studying the dules airport. the idea was to span a long distance with a very thin structure. here are some pictures.

It ended up being a success as you can see. Tom and I are standing on what looks like a 4" deck spanning a good distance. the distance between the wall and the lockers is 40 feet. the way that the bridge works is that there are three support posts that are not touching the ground, they are actually held in place by some tension cables that are putting all the force back into the deck in a horizontal direction. it is a little hard for me to explain without being there and pointing and touching but in essence the posts are being held up because of the compression in the deck and the deck is able to span because of the posts breaking up the span distance. I am probably making no sense but anyone reading this just needs to know that it was a successful first year and I am looking forward to a next year starting tomorrow.

4 comments:

caos27 said...

joel you are a good artist and almost architect. i think i have a crush on you. that box you made was off the chain.

betsy said...

my school starts tomorrow. i guess we'll see you next year, after we're both done. oh, i mean after I'M done and you still have another year. hee hee.

Jalaine said...

Good Luck with school this year, I am sure you will do great! Last years projects were really cool I can't wait to see what you do this year.

kat said...

that first picture is pretty funny. we need to play some more rock band soon -mark and kat