Sunday, July 13, 2008

Walking in the Rain


I've been trying to walk to work lately. I got lazy and started driving to work for a while. So to save money and to get some exercise I've been making myself walk. The other day I was about ready to leave work and noticed it looked like some rain was going to start. I didn't bring my umbrella with me, but I knew there were a bunch of them in the closet. So I went and picked out the smallest one, at least that's what I thought. I started my trek home and opened up my borrowed umbrella. I was surprised to see that it was as big as a five man tent. I debated whether or not to shut it and just get wet or continue my walk home as is. I opted to use the umbrella because of what happened earlier in the week. On my way to work a couple days before this I was caught in a rain burst out of nowhere and ended up going back home to change my drenched clothes. I got a lot of stares with such a huge tent, but at least this time I was dry. At one point I was taking up the whole sidewalk and had to hold the umbrella up so people could walk under. So in a way, I wasn't just keeping myself dry I was helping others out. I only ran it into one building, took out one car antenna and almost blew away three times. It was a sight to see. I had learned my lesson earlier in the week. I'll definitely take a tent and stares over nothing any day. Having an umbrella here is a must!
These pictures really don't show how massive this thing was, but you can kind of imagine it.

5 comments:

Joel said...

It's true...that is our front room and the umbrella takes up the whole room!

jeremygiles said...

You guys have the coolest stories. I wish my life didn't suck, then I could have funny stories to tell.

Amy said...

Hi Joel and jackie! I am excited to know that you have a blog now. Sounds like you are having fun in Chicago. I am thrilled that you are having a girl--they are so much fun!

betsy said...

my life is totally complete now that i can read jackie's blog entries. did you know that you have your funny writing skills to thank for your marriage to joel? because you wrote me interesting emails while i was in england, then i forced you to be my roommate at the U and then you met joel and got married! there's a lesson for you!

sallysue said...

Hooray! I found you! Congratulations on the pregnancy.
And, about the umbrellas, I now understand about the umbrellas. I was jealous here of the people with the giganto umbrellas when we had, oh, 24 hours of rain! One day walking to class the inside of my backpack got soaked, and a textbook now has some character.